Friday, March 23, 2012

Tuesday, Caregiver School


Tuesday I went to the caregiver school. We teach caregivers at orphanages basic skills to help them care for the children as best that they can. It's usually a two day school and at the end they get certificates and prizes and such and it makes them feel good about themselves and accomplished and it's great seeing them have self-confidence like that. But on to a more selfish note. I hate teaching. This is actually my least favorite part of the whole trip. I know that sounds terrible and selfish and everything of the sort but I really don't like it much. I don't like being in the spotlight, I don't like being the teacher and for whatever reason I feel very ill-qualified. Needless to say it causes me much anxiety. But I can say I enjoy the looks on their faces as they're learning. I taught with Jordan and Katie told us after that we made a fantastic teaching team. See Jordan is a bit wild and crazy. He's always moving, dancing and is just plain nuts sometimes. I'm very quiet and reserved. So Jordan would get them all riled up and moving and then I'd let them sit and relax and just listen! We balance each other out well. Regardless of the fact that it's not my favorite, I'm glad that I do it, I'm glad Katie makes me hahaha!
Lastly a fun little story. So I'm sitting at the table at this orphanage. I've got a headache and I'm achy. Just feeling blah. Jordan is up teaching. I turn to Katie and and ask her if she has any ibuprofen with her, I didn't bring mine. She unfortunately does not. No worries, I'll make it. So when Jordan is done I get up to teach a section of the curriculum. When I'm done Katie motions me over, and is chuckling, "Look at this," she says. In one of the bags with our toys and teaching materials are 3 lonely, loose ibuprofen. They had fallen in this bag when we were making individual packages from large bottles. Nice huh?! Someone's looking out for me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment