Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Little Bit of....Contemplation


This post may have a little bit more introspective quality to it than some of my other posts. As all of you well know, I'm nearing the end of nursing school (at least this part of it!). This week we were given our "preceptor" assignments. This essentially means that for a certain amount of time during the semester I will be "working" in one specific area of nursing. I am going to be in the ER at Alta View Hospital in Sandy, Utah. This is the area of nursing that makes my heart flutter just a little! I LOVE the acute side of nursing. I love the feel, the flow, and the pace of the ER. So as you can imagine, I'm quite ecstatic about this upcoming adventure! I'm also terrified beyond words, and that's saying a lot for me, most of you know I'm not usually short on words! You go through nursing school gaining a MASSIVE amount of knowledge and continually trying to convince yourself that when the time comes you will be able to pull that particular piece of knowledge you need out of your head and apply it to the vulnerable sick person lying in front of you, always being reminded in the back of your head that this person expects you to know what you're doing and know the answer to any question they can come up with. I don't know about you, but to me that is incredibly intimidating! And while I know that the basics of nursing and the fundamental knowledge I have will not fail me if I use it right, I cannot help but feel quite inadequate. And while I also know that it takes nurses YEARS to gain most of their knowledge and expertise, and with that confidence, I cannot help but feel just a little frightened for what lies ahead of me. Just writing this post is causing my heart rate to increase because of the stimulation of my sympathetic nervous system and the release of a little bit of adrenaline! But despite these fears and feelings of inadequacy, I am extremely excited and know that what I have chosen to do is what I was meant to do. I love nursing with every drop of blood that runs through my arteries and veins and cannot really imagine doing anything else.

2 comments:

  1. Tristyn this was very eloquent. On my blurb about it I said something like "I'm going to the ER: YAY!" which was just wrong on so many levels. But, I second your feelings exactly...and I'm excited for all 3 of us! (And no one else. Just the three of us. ahahah). Always remember you're smarter than me and I believe in you 100%, and I would trust you to be my nurse. (bed baths and caths not included, fyi...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to Alta View too! It's a long drive from Provo but I'm excited to get out of Utah Valley for a change. Can you believe that it's almost over? 3 more months. You will do awesome! Alta View ER is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete