Monday, December 19, 2011

Watch out Picaboo

I've taken to trying new things, to be more specific, new things that scare me! Today was another day for firsts. Today was my first day of skiing. I grew up in Wyoming, very close to Utah, and have never been skiing before, no really, never been skiing! Many other winter sports have I taken part in, but never skiing. So here I am, ready to hit the slopes! I let my friend Jessica and her husband talk me into buying a season pass to Sundance resort and I rented equipment for the season, so there's no turning back now, I'm locked in! Today was great. It wasn't too cold, clear blue skies, and a great teacher!
I started out terrified, of everything, and I mean everything! From the big heavy boots to the 5-year-olds whipping past me. I'm scared of heights, therefore I hate the lift. It's not so much the height part as the falling to my death part that gets me. Riding the lift was probably my least favorite part. After the lift ride it only got worse, I fell getting off the lift, they had to stop it and the lift operator had to come help get me up. Yup, klutz that I am I couldn't even get off the lift without making a nice big fool of myself! At that point I'm embarrassed and now afraid of falling! But I definitely got over that! After multiple falls and a sore behind I became a bit more comfortable and was able to stay on my feet for longer periods of time. The faster I started going, the more frightened I became and down I went! Despite all the falls, embarrassment and bruises, and the realization that I'll never be an olympic skier I had a fantastic time and am looking forward to my next skiing adventure!
First big wipeout!

I was only going like 2 mph

By the end of the day I was spent!

So here's the count for the day....
  • 2 skis
  • 2 poles
  • 1 lift ride
  • 1 run; 3 hours!
  • 26 falls
  • 4 ibuprofen
  • 4 Tylenol
  • 1 big smile


No comments:

Post a Comment