Thursday, December 1, 2011

It's In My Soul


"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more I am dissatisfied with it; and everyday confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books. I read this book every December. I can't explain why. It is in no way a "holiday" book so to speak. However, there is something about it that screams hot chocolate, snow, and fireplace to me. Although at present time I have none of the above. Boo. Anyway, back on track. I actually did not read the book until I was in college. Strange I know. But the moment I picked it up, I was in love. Took me only two days to read. I often find myself relating to Elizabeth. Obviously I'm the heroine, right? We're both incredibly sarcastic, witty, and quick with the the opinionated comments. The eternal pessimist/realist within us dominates. Also the prospects of our ever marrying are slim to none, although she beats the odds. Regardless of these charming traits, we, Elizabeth and I, are at heart a sentimentalist. Though we rarely allow many to see this. So I begin to read again. I am only a few chapters in and I hear the British voices in my head, picture the English countryside and laugh aloud at the wit. I love starting out hating Mr. Darcy and then falling hopelessly in love with him. I love the twist of fate that gives Lydia and Mr. Wickham everything they want and deserve. Most of all I love how this book has become a part of me, a piece of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment