Saturday, February 23, 2013

Good Day Sunshine


Saturday February 23, 2013

Time: 8:13pm
Song: Titanium-Ali Brustofski
Place: Port-Au-Prince, Haiti
Book: America’s Game: A History of the NFL
Word of the Day: Heatwave

Technically it is the same day as the last post I wrote, just about 18 hours later.  But, 18 hours is a long time.  I made it into Haiti, surprisingly they allowed me in again.  My flight landed around 8am this morning and at about 11am I was safe and sound in the guesthouse on Avenue John Brown, home sweet home for the next 9 days.  First order of business? Oh you better believe within half an hour my cute white self was poolside soaking in the beating sun and reading.  Don’t despair; hard work will come soon enough.  Today we took time to rest after a very long day of traveling.  Bags were also unpacked and supplies sorted.  Introductions were made.  There are several people this year that I do not know but am very excited to get to know, and those I do know I’m excited to catch up with.  The dynamics of these groups are so interesting.  You would think with groups as large as these (we are 19 strong this year) there is bound to be some personalities that don’t click, while this is the occasional truth, I’ve found that those who want to come on these trips are often laid back, dedicated, and easy going, making for a rather relaxed setting.  We often get along quite well, which is very refreshing.  When I first arrived I was exhausted and wondering how in the world I’d make it through the next 10 days (that’s the optimist in me of course), but after a dip in the pool, a nice cold shower (quite welcomed actually), and some great conversation I feel quite energized and ready to start the week.  Tomorrow brings a mixture of preparation and relaxation.  Church in the morning, which I am so grateful for.  Last Sunday while still in the states Katie told me “I’ve got to get you to Haiti so I can get you to church!” I’ve been working the last several Sundays and have been unable to attend, so I’m quite excited, even if it’ll be in another language.  We’ll meet with our interpreters and then off to the Montana for dinner and the sunset before we hit the ground running on Monday.


Oh yeah I think I’m dehydrated already!  I’m throwing back the water like it’s….well water!  And I still have a headache….and haven’t peed all that much!  You’re welcome ;)

Answer to my question:

On a deserted island:

1.     Album: The Beatles Help!
2.     Book: The Bourne Trilogy (my game, my rules, I can have a trilogy)
3.     Person: Now this changes periodically according to my mood and ambitions of the time, today; Tim Lincecum, because I want to learn to throw a curve ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment