Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Living in the moment.

Have you ever had one of those days where you are completely living in the moment?  Every single one?  You’re not worrying about what’s going to happen next, or in an hour, or in the next week? You’re not thinking about that episode that made you so mad last week or how stressed you are about your upcoming interview.  You are completely and utterly consumed in that moment and each and every moment as they come?  Well I had one of those days today. It literally started right when I woke up and lasted clear til this very second.  Just absolutely enjoying every minute that I get to be where I am, doing what I’m doing. As we were coming back in from our day and the boat was racing across the water and the waves were banging against us I looked out and this huge expanse of jade colored water before me and the beautiful islands dotting the horizon and thought “Wow, you are one lucky girl.” And that of course led to a whole train of thinking about the wonderful blessings I have in my life and how incredibly lucky I am to have everything and everyone that I do in my life.  So there’s my little sentimental quip for the day!

So, today.  The aforementioned amazing day.  We spent the entire day in the sun.  Needless to say my lovely golden tan is now a nice shade of scarlet red.  Just a tad uncomfortable.  But I tell you, it was worth it.  Jordan had wheeled and dealed the previous night and we secured a private boat to take a tour of 4 different islands and to see the emerald cave. So we stopped off at our first island for some snorkeling.  A word on snorkeling and me.  Before this trip I’d never actually done it.  Looks simple enough.  Oh it is not.  The actual first time I snorkeled was about two weeks ago when we were in the south in Krabi.  Not the best experience. My mask wasn’t tight enough and I so I kept getting water in the mask.  Salt water up your nose and in your eyes is not the most pleasant thing in the world.  And of course you’re not supposed to stand on the coral because you can damage it.  And mind you, that is someone’s house!  Well, I didn’t stay in the water all that long on that trip.  But the few glimpses I got of the fish and the beautiful water, I knew it was something I would learn to love. 

This time I was bound and determined to make this time count. I made sure my mask was nice and tight.  PS long hair and snorkeling do not mix.  I made sure I was biting on the mouth peace all nice and good and I jumped in. We snorkeled at three different islands and each one was better than the last.  The first island the water wasn’t very clear and although the second one was much more clear, there were a few more people there crowding the area.  And Jordan got stung by a jellyfish so that wasn’t much fun.  But it was all worth it when we stopped and Koh Kradan. It was beautiful.  All sorts of different brightly colored fish, the water was crystal clear, and we were the only ones in the water.  My favorite part was when the sun would shine through the water and these amazing sharp rays of light would break through the water.  Incredible.  I loved all the fish too.  Fish I’ve seen on TV or in fish tanks, just swimming around. My favorite fish by far was the this black and yellow striped one.  Kind of in the shape of a triangle.  You know the “big fish,” the leader in the fish tank in “Finding Nemo?” He gives Nemo the name sharkbait?  Yup, that’s the one! He was my favorite.  Also at Koh Kradan we spent time swimming in the ocean.  This particular beach and this particular water were perfect.  It was so clear you could see your feet in the water below you.  The water here is the color of jade.  I’ve never seen water this green.  Granted, my beaching experience is quite limited. Nonetheless, it was beautiful. We were the only ones there.  You could see the islands dotting the horizon in every direction.  Fishing boats further out. It just doesn’t get much better. 

The last and final thing we did was we went to the emerald cave.  It’s a cave on the island where we were staying. We anchored the boat, put on our life jackets (which were required however I felt made the swim much more difficult), and jumped off the side into the water.  Then it was an 80m, or roughly the length of a football field swim into this tunnel and finally emerging onto the little secluded beach.  There really aren’t words, or pictures for that matter, that can capture how beautiful it was.  I think the real amazing thing is swimming in, standing up, and looking straight up into the beautiful blue sky and the deep green of the trees.  I think colors are intensified here.

It was just one of those days.





No comments:

Post a Comment