Monday, September 9, 2013

Northern Thailand

The last several days we’ve spent up in the northern part of Thailand.  Chiang Rai, Thaton, and Chiang Mai.  It’s beautiful up here.  Because it’s the rainy season the sky at night is usually a dark blue/gray.  It’s more rural up here in the north.  We haven’t been able to spend a lot of time in each location, which is unfortunate.  I would have loved to spend more time here.  We flew in to Chiang Rai Wednesday night and Thursday we took a 5-hour boat ride up a river, of which I do not know the name.  The scenery was incredible. Half way through we stopped off and rode elephants.  I’m not a big fan of heights, or animals for that matter.  They frighten me a little.  So sitting atop a very large animal was somewhat scary.  But it was quite fun.  We rode up through the jungle.  We saw cornfields and rice fields.  A little ways further up we stopped off again and walked up through a small village and bought a few souvenirs from several of the local women. We arrived in Thaton at about 3pm and had to catch our bus to Chiang Mai by 4:20.  So we only really had time for some food and to gather a few things.  Thaton is where Jordan has been living for the past 4 months and working.  He helped the lady at the restaurant cook our food.  He loves to cook; I also suspect that he likes to show off a bit! We arrived in Chiang Mai at about 9pm in a lovely thunderstorm.  Best thing about thunderstorms in Thailand is that it’s still nice and warm outside.  Which was to my liking because I was unable to find a rain jacket before I left.  Lucky for me it hasn’t actually rained all that much while I’ve been here. We got up and went and had some Thai massages before wandering the city.  I don’t particularly love the Thai style of massage.  Maybe I’m not used to it, but it’s just a tad painful! But it’s an experience nonetheless. We boarded a train to Bangkok at 5:30, well, actually 6:15, the train was late.  That is where you find me now.  We’re on a sleeper train that will arrive in Bangkok at around 9am tomorrow (Saturday).  One day left.  I find I’m ready. It’s been incredible. I have seriously loved every minute.  Even the minutes lugging my duffle bag from airport to airport and even the times I was so angry with Jordan, justified and unjustified.  Even the time I paid 5 Bhat to use the bathroom at the bus station and it was a squatter toilet and I ABSOLUTELY could not pee in it. I’ve loved being here and I’ve loved this experience, but I’m ready to be home.  I’m sure I’ll be singing a different tune in a week or two but I’m ready to go back to my everyday life.  To go to work, to sleep in my bed, to talk to my mom! Yes, I’m ready to be home.  One of my favorite lines in the movie “Juno” is when she says I never realize how much I like being home unless I've been somewhere really different for a while." 


  1. Just discovered your posts and loved reading about your trip. And yes- I also paid money to try to use a squatter in a bust station, and couldn't. Also couldn't use the sleeper train toilet with the hole straight to the tracks. Those times I wish I just could do a straight cath :) he he he. Glad you liked your trip! It looks like your friend Jordan was working with my friend Nate Garrett. Small world! - Emily Gottfredson

    1. Em, Thanks! My words are seriously inadequate to do the trip justice, it was amazing. I too could have lived there. And yes! Jordan and Nate were the country directors for Help International. I met Nate the first week I was there. He's great. Very true, small world.